Yu-Gi-Oh Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Introductory guide for Newbies - Updated March 2013.

Go down

The Introductory guide for Newbies - Updated March 2013. Empty The Introductory guide for Newbies - Updated March 2013.

Post by Joshuareid36 Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:16 pm

Hello and welcome to Rͼιŋ's introductory guide for both Pojo & Yu-Gi-Oh newbies.

In my boredom, I've decided to create a guide detailing both important aspects for Pojo Newbies; and also for people new to Yu-Gi-Oh itself.

In this thread, I hope to highlight some key points and provide some valuable information for those Newbies out there.

`'~. Contents .~'`

I. An introduction to the world of the Yu-Gi-Oh! Trading Card Came.
II. Enhance your Game!
III. Making use of your resources.
IV. An introduction to Pojo.
V. Making a difference.
VI. The Returning Player.
VII. Extra Information.

Part I '- An introduction to the world of the Yu-Gi-Oh! Trading Card Came.

So you've decided to learn how to play Yu-Gi-Oh, either on your own accord or through friends wanting you to play, and now you've decided to enlist the help of the Pojo community. Well here's a few tips which will help you learn how to play Yu-Gi-Oh:
Buy the latest Starter deck. The latest Starter Deck is Super Starter: V for Victory. The deck will cost you around $10 (or around £7). The reason I sugegst a Starter deck when you first begin playing is because it does not limit you to a particular theme. You have a rather unstructured deck which at this point, is a good thing. In the beginning you do not want to over complicated the game. Therefore Starter Decks are the way to go.
Now that you have your brand new Starter Deck, you'll want to learn how to play. The first step in learning how to play is, unfortunately, reading the Rulebook. I know it might not have been the first thing you intended on doing upon opening your deck of cards, but it will serve you well in the future.

You should have received a copy of the Official Rulebook with your Starter Deck of choice. If you have misplaced it, then you can download and read the Official Rulebook here. I recommend reading it through twice before you play, just to make sure you know what you're going to be doing. Also, I suggest reading it with a friend, so you can discuss things you don't understand with each other.

A while ago, there was a tutorial on the Upperdeck Entertainment website detailing how to play the game. However, for one reason or another, Upperdeck no longer distribute Yu-Gi-Oh products and the tutorial is no longer there. However, one lovely Youtuber by the name of YourTCGChoice has decided to upload a recording of it to Youtube. For the Tutorial, click here. Its a bit outdated and the Official Rulebook is much better, however it still provides those who dislike reading entire rulebooks with a basic outline of the game.
Now that you have learned how to play, I suggest you play casually with your friends and online to get a feel of the game. There’s also a multitude of online resources you can learn from and use. I cover them in part III so carry on reading and I’ll point you to some great places!
Part II '- Enhance your Game!

The main way you can enhance your game is by learning about more complicated tactics and understanding the deeper mechanics of the game. I'll explain more about where you can learn this later in Part III, but for now I'm just going to explain how to develop your deck and why complicating the game can improve your chances of success.

Right now, you will only have had practice with a very open and unstructured Starter Deck. While this is good for learning the game, you will want to complicate your deck a bit more, by creating a theme. By far the easiest way to improve at this point would be to purchase a Structure deck, such as the recent Cyber Dragon Revolution - available for $10 (around £7-Cool.

As the name suggests, Structure Decks have a more rigid play style and contain a theme. Its this main theme that will let you win games. If you create a deck around a main theme you have a greater chance of completing your target goal and thus winning the game. However, by far the most potent and effective theme in today's Meta is Archetypes. Monsters, Spells or Traps of a particular Archetype will contain a common name within their card name such as "Dragunity" or will have effects that support a specific theme. Structure decks tend to have what we call "synergy". This is a concept discussed in a thread by The_Dark_Monarch.

The best place to look for main themes or Archetypes is the TCG Strategies sub-forum.

Part III '- Making use of your resources.

The internet can be a wonderful thing, it provides all sorts of Yu-Gi-Oh information! Here's a list of places that I have found particularly useful:
Pojo. I know it may seem very obvious, but it is literally a wonderful resource of Yu-Gi-Oh knowledge.
There are two sticky threads on the Newbie sub-forum by The_Dark_Monarch. The first thread is a short Navigation Guide. This will show you how to get around the site without having any trouble at all. The second is an article about "Synergy"; a concept mentioned in Part II of this guide. Both are definitely worth a read.
There is also a wonderful thread on Card Advantage by Pojo Veteren Valafar123 which details how Card Advantage can be used to your advantage. This thread explains a concept which, as Valafar puts it, the cornerstone of Yu-Gi-Oh. Competitive play hinges on the concept of Card Advantage and this thread is very helpful in explaining what, at first, may seem a confusing concept.
Youtube. The world's most popular video sharing site is a great place to meet so-called "Yugitubers" and watch strategy videos, deck builds and pack openings. The site is full of encouraging videos for you to watch. Head over to the Yu-Gi-Oh! TCG Strategy Videos sub-forum to find a whole host of useful ideas.
Speaking of Strategies, why not check out some duellist blogs? There's a whole world of event coverage and strategy discussion just waiting to be discovered. Konami has a great blog which covers events from America and Europe. You'll also want to check out the Yugioh Blogs Thread by Rauzes to find more blogs.
The next place you'll want to check out is the TCG Article Archive sub-forums, designed to house a huge quantity or TCG articles for your to read. Its particularly helpful when considering deck building.
The Yu-Gi-Oh Wikia is, although a Wiki, actually an accurate source of information for all players. I use it whenever I'm making a new deck or want to check out how different deck types or new cards work. A couple of pages you might find quite useful are the List of Synchro Monsters or the Gameplay section, which lists all the game mechanics imaginable in Yu-Gi-Oh. Therefore you'll want to use the Gameplay page as a development tool once you become more confident with the game.
The next resource I'm going to show you is netrep.net; a Yu-Gi-Oh database. Netrep allows you to perform advanced searches; searching for particular card text and effects whilst highlighting whether the target card be anything from Effect Monster to Continuous Trap. Netrep is a great tool for all deck builders and strategists and I definitely recommend using it to create new ideas and develop old ones.
One top resource for gameplay and practise is The Dueling Network. Just search for it in your search engine and off you go! Registration takes 2 minutes and after that you can duel against people from all over the world and build whatever deck you desire. This is pretty much the best resource the internet can offer you. Yu-Gi-Oh! related that is.
--- This section will be updated upon receiving feedback. ---

Part IV '- An introduction to Pojo.

So, welcome to the Pojo community. You've certainly chosen a lively and interesting place to discuss your ideas. Pojo is one of the liveliest, and most often, friendliest Yu-Gi-Oh communities I've been part of and you will always be able to find the help you seek within these forums.

However, here are a few points to consider when posting:
Please abide by the forum rules. You can find a list of them on this thread by Secret Squirrel.
Remember to be polite when posting. Not only does it help project a positive image of yourself, but it also makes you seem more mature and approachable.
Remember to use correct English and grammar in your posts. Obviously a mistake or two can't be helped, and if English isn't your first language then its not going to be perfect, but the effort is appreciated. You are more likely to convey your meaning when your post is understandable. Just dnt start talkin lyk this wen u post sumfin. If you put effort in, effort will be put into the reply.
Please don't flame people. Constructive criticism is often received better than your usual "your deck sux, your life sux, get a new one" kind of post. Try to always be helpful, even if you don't agree with something.
You get a Signature and become a Registered User after you have 50+ Posts and have been a member of Pojo for 30+ Days.
You become a Pojo Veteran and can change your User Title once you have 500+ Posts and have been a member of Pojo for 90+ Days.
Part V '- Making a difference.

It's always important to make a great first impression. However, i'ts also important to keep up appearances. Therefore I should also point out that those Pojoers who are respected the most, always have something constructive to say. They have obviously learned the game well and may have even done a little research before they post. If you attempt to show the same commitment, you will earn the same respect.

In essence, you should always try to be at your best when you post. Quality over Quantity. It may be quite tempting in the beginning to reach those higher post counts but believe me, you won't reach Veteran any quicker if you make 1,000 two-word-long posts over 500 more thought out replies.

Here are some key tips to making yourself a respected member of the Pojo community:
Always give a reason behind a reply. That way you can have a proper conversation with another member and both of you will be able to learn from one another.
Always be willing to help. But also, always be willing to accept help too.
Always try to convey your thoughts and opinions. Teams exist here in the Team Strategy sub-forum. In that forum you can join a discussion thread and learn from players with great knowledge and experience.
Do not be rude. By all means, stand your ground when you know that you are right. But be open minded and accept that people are not going to share your opinion all the time.
Part VI '- The Returning Player.

Now, you may be thinking, "Rͼιŋ, I'm a Pojo Newbie but I've played Yu-Gi-Oh before. I already know how to play. What information have you got for me?"

Well, thankfully there is a Returning Players sub-forum!

You can ask any questions you like in there about what you might have missed since you stopped playing, or top decks that are around now. You could ask about sets that you've missed. You could ask anything about the time you've been away from Yu-Gi-Oh. While you're there, you should check out the 2013 Lowdown thread by Boots88.

Another good place to check out is the article archives on Yu-Gi-Oh blogs such as Konami’s America and Europe coverage blogs. The archives will often detail past events and will show you how the game has progressed since you left.

So enjoy reading about the development of Yu-Gi-Oh; and welcome back to the game!

Part VII '- Extra Information.

Welcome to part seven of my introduction. Here i will list or explain any additional information which I find necessary to include for the benefit of the Pojo community.

-->The Battle Phase.

The Battle Phase in Yu-Gi-Oh is often one of the most confusing aspects of the game. Firstly, some information on the Battle Phase itself:
If you are the Starting Player, you may not enter your Battle Phase.
Entering the Battle Phase is always optional, unless specified by a card effect. E.G. Berserk Gorilla or Battle Mania stipulate that you must conduct your Battle Phase where possible.
If you choose not to enter your Battle Phase, you must proceed directly to your End Phase, without conducting your Main Phase 2.
You may enter your Battle Phase if you control no monsters, or if you control only defense position monsters.
You also do not have to attack when you enter your Battle Phase unless specified by a card effect.
Now for the exciting part: The several Steps and "Sub-Steps" of the Battle Phase. That's right. Its not just as easy as attacking and taking damage. These procedures are put in place to ensure that every card is activated correctly and fairly. The post (because of the large amount of content) can be found here.

I hope you have enjoyed learning the ins and outs of the Battle Phase, and I hope you will take away and remember this important information.

So, thank-you for reading, I'll be adding in more content as I receive feedback, so please, any comments you have please post. Any ideas will be considered .

Joshuareid36
Admin

https://yugioh-forums.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down